Contact Us

German Metal Festival Death: Man Dies from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Wacken Open Air

Redferns / Getty Images

This year’s Wacken Open Air was struck by tragedy, Contact Music reports, as a man died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the German heavy metal festival.

The victim, whose name has not been released, apparently fell asleep in a canvas tent containing a power generator. He’s thought to have inhaled toxic gas, and while medics were called to the scene, they were unable to revive him.

“Unfortunately, we have sad news: We were informed by the German Red Cross that there has been a death at the Wacken Open Air 2012,” said organizers of the event, a four-day metal extravaganza that featured such acts as Cradle of Filth (pictured), Sepultura and Ministry.

“We are shocked and send our condolences to family and friends of the deceased,” the statement continued.

According to, German authorities have launched an investigation of the incident.

Recommended for You

Around the Web


Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to using your original account information.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Not a member? Sign up here

Sign up for Noisecreep quickly by connecting your Facebook account. It's just as secure and no password to remember!